Monday, 24 September 2012

A Sad End! (2 End) To This Blog !!


I don't know what to say other than I'm absolutely gutted, My last challenge for the year was yesterday!
The weather was great considering the forecast the day before which predicted high winds and persistent rain (That's today and tomorrow!!)
I was all set, I got up early had breakfast and a protein shake, all my kit was sorted the day before and I didn't do anything else differently to the preparations for the Parish.
400 odd people that's not to say that we were all odd/weird just that there were just over 400 people starting.  I got straight to the start line and was at the front.  The race started a little late at 8:05 as we were waiting for a couple of people ambling up to the start line!!! Numpties!!!! 8am start is an 8am start!! They should have started it on time and we could have mowed the late ones down.
I got off to a steady start with knocking a two 13 minute miles, I was stiff but this soon passed after 4-5 miles.
The End 2 End is a very different event to the Parish, obviously there is less people and a shorter distance but theres added pressure of time constraints with a 10 hour deadline for the whole course which was in the back of my mind from the start!!!!
I motored towards Jurby all on home turf, felt great legs loose and knocking some great mileage times out.  Water stop at Jurby Prison and onto Ballaugh, now not having done this event before I presumed that it followed the Parish Route and was unaware that it went down and around the Orrisdale Loop Road, funny thing was that my brother who was supporting me didn't know either and was waiting for me at Ballaugh Shops!
I was aware that I was getting quicker and quicker but it felt good, I got to the Devils Elbow and was passed by friend Darren who powered on and had a fantastic finish !!! and then another familiar face next to me. Parish Blogger Ed.  I was going through a bad phase here and Ed picked me up got me through the next mile or two before he cracked on into Peel.  I was suffering my legs felt stiff and I started to seize up, this did pass as I entered Peel but my pace had slowed somewhat.  I thought I was taking on enough energy sources and fluid and I went down the Promenade through the dibbing point and off out towards Dalby.
My times were getting slower and my legs were getting heavier and stiffer, I could not see anyone in front of me now and I looked behind and there was no one around.  I felt lonely and missed conversation to keep my mind off things.  Passing Knock a Loe my brother pulled up and asked if I wanted anything, it was at this point that I made the hardest decision that I have had to make in my walking.  I felt awful, legs didn't think that I could go another 3-4 hours, I was in pain and I walked up to Simons car and just stopped telling him that I had finished and couldn't go any further.  So at 25 miles that was that!!!! 15 miles short of a finish!!! Gutted was not the word, in fact I am still gutted!!!!
On the up side I wasn't injured and only had a small blister to my left heel!  Just not happy seemed like an anticlimax to a great years walking, Another positive was my speed, looking at the times from my Suunto I averaged 5mph with 25 miles covered in 5 hours!! awesome to be fair which is 1 mph quicker than when I started walking.  I covered mile 20 in 10 minutes flat!!!!!! unbelievably fast for me.
I was concerned that I hadnt gone to the toilet since before the start, I didnt want to go, didnt feel like going this had concerned me, I thought I was drinking enough but obviously not, when I got home I did manage but it was evident that I was dehydrated.
Well done to everyone who completed the event and I will be back next yeat for sure!

This just leaves me to say for the final time for this blog, Thank you for your time and support, its been fun to write and is a great bit of history for my girls to read when they are older.

The big question to be answered is "Am I going to continue walking and am I going to train for the Parish?"
The Answer is easy and is three letters Y E S !!!! I may have a couple of weeks off and not do anything but will be back on the road before November!!!!

I was going to leave you with my way by Frank but I decided to put one of my favourite artists but if you listen to the start it has got a bit of My Way in it!!!!!

Its been a pleasure, Till the next time!
KEEP RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment