Saturday, 24 March 2012

Hitting the Hills! & It wouldnt happen in a Scooby!!

 

This week saw the start of altitude training!!!  Monday after dropping the kids off at school well my youngest as the eldest refuses to be seen in public with Dad in case he embarrasses her and her friends are apparently much more interesting than I am!!!!! Anyway I digress following the school run I decided to take a trip to the Dhoon and parked up at the Dhoon Cafe.  I started out towards Laxey on the Coast Road along Bulghan rocks towards the goats at the never ending corner or is it everlasting bend??? Potato Tomato!!!!  It was a lovely morning the sea was calm and tempting - Jet Ski weather!!!! the sun was out, wasn't hot, no wind just great walking weather!
Endomondo said that the first mile was 12mins 44 felt good and I romped into Laxey (although its all down hill!!) passed the Mines and started to climb the hill towards Lonan Church.  To be honest before I knew it I was turning right up Church Road to the steeper climb towards the church.  I had a plan that I was going to continue passed the church and take the next road on the left and then left again down towards Baldrine before the dip, well that was the plan!!!!! I continued to climb the hill and was heading North East in the opposite direction to where I thought I should be going! With no road ahead in sight and fearing that a 12 mile planned walk would turn into a 20 miler! no issues just time constraints though!!!!  I did the unforgivable and turned around heading back where I had came (Big no no for walkers / runners!!!, psychologically a killer!!!) I didn't have far to retrace my steps and was soon coming passed the church again.  Getting onto the main road I turned back towards Laxey Prom dropping down the hill at sea level by the Shore Pub then started the climb, Its as most of you know a steady climb to the crossroads and then continued straight over passed King Orrys grave and continued the hike up the hill towards Ballaragh, I felt great getting back to the car in 2hrs for just under 10 miles, when I looked at the data later i found that my fastest mile was infact the mile from the Shore Pub up Ballaragh all uphill!!!! in 11mins 42secs.
The next day I decided I wanted to go out for a quick 6 miles after work, keeping it local I did my favourite loop towards Jurby through the Lhen towards Bride and then back into Andreas by Smeale, again feeling good as I entered Andreas I decided to continue over the island and go up to the church just to extend it a bit I got home in 1hr 37 for 8.5 miles with an average speed of 5.15mph top speed of 6mph!!!! In the passed 3 months of training my average speed has increased alot which I am chuffed to bits with.
A couple of rest days and work meant no training until Saturday morning.  I only had 1 glass of wine Friday night in preparation for hitting the Maughold section again the next morning.  The alarm went off at 530 and i had all my kit ready, changed and heading out the door within 5 mins, I made two bottles up the night before and a protein shake was ready for the powder to be added which I did, put the top of the shake bottle on and into the car where I decided to mix it and consume it whilst on route to Ramsey Prom.  Unfortunately I hadn't clipped the lid on properly and soon the inside of my vehicle, windscreen, windows, steering wheel, seats practically everywhere oh and me!!! Strawberry shake everywhere!!!! Not happy was an understatement but I parked the car up on the prom finished what little shake I had left used my jacket to mop up as much as I could and headed off towards the swing bridge and up towards Maughold.
The first four miles was horrible, I hadn't warmed up, I ached and was sticky with strawberry shake!!! it was a real drag I nearly stopped and though Fxxk it but glad i didn't, it was warm, the sun was rising up over the light house, new born lambs and calves in the fields and the birds tweeting, I had my ipod with me but to tell you the truth didn't use it till i returned to suburban Ramsey!!! I was on my own with nature and loving it!!! Once I warmed up I was going up Ballajora hill again cant wait for that on the day!!! :0 I got to the top and took a couple of pictures breathtaking, I then headed up the Hibernia to the Gooseneck where there was another photo opportunity (attached), dropped into Ramsey through Mooragh Park and I forgot that I hadnt parked the car at the old Grand Island site but at the swimming pool which by this time I was just passed the start of the Sprint Course so turned for the car adding nearly another mile to the tally,  12 miles in 2hr 29 again happy with the performance I could enjoy the meal at the Grosvenor with a beer!!!!! Weekly mileage tally was again 30 miles!
Off now to clean the car before heading out to the pub!!! I wouldnt shake or drink or eat in a Scooby!!!! :0

                                                     (Sunrise over Maughold Lighthouse)

                                                             (Sunrise over Maughold)




                                                  (Hazy Hibernia near the Gooseneck)


                                                              (Albert Tower in distance)

2 comments:

  1. Well done author McN
    Must get skilled but maybe too old to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! Never too old, old man!!! ;) just need to follow my blog now press join

    ReplyDelete