So its Sunday which means Blog Day as my brother calls it!!
It was prearranged that I should get up at Stupid O'Clock setting the alarm last night for it to go off at 530am seemed ridiculous with it pouring down with rain and the forecast of Snow overnight, Never the less it was set, kit all lined up so I could do the Wallace and Gromit thing and just fall out of bed into my clothes and then head out the door before I could change my mind or look outside at the weather!!!!After waking our Labraroo or Kangador I wasnt flavour of the month with the wife who prompty got up didnt say anything to me (I knew the "Look" though!!!) and let the black pests out to the toilet. I made a hasty exit and headed to Sulby to collect my walking partner and bessie mate to head for the hills!
Passing the Lezayre DOI Depo there was a gritter lorry lights flashing and preparing to go up top!
Parking at the old Grand Island site on Mooragh Prom we got prepared, it was V Cold looking up onto the Mountain Road it was evident that it had snowed overnight, so we headed along Mooragh Promenade towards Ramsey town centre, across the swing bridge and through the square passing the pier.
Again as you expect there was not a sole around and given that it was 6am on Sunday Morning the only people up and around are Police officers, people who are up to no good, the walk of shamers, shift workers and the dedicated to the mission!!!!!
I counted 2 vehicles moving between the car drop off point up to the Gooseneck! I did not see another sole walking not even a stray dog walker. I love this time of the morning when Im wide awake and trust me I woke up pretty darn quick with the lack of temperature!! We motored along up towards Maughold Church and again the views were fantastic, I love this part of the island if fact theres not many places on the island that I dont like! There were numerous photo opportunites and it wasnt until we were a couple of miles from home that we actually thought of doing so. D'oh, although it was the last thing on my mind having negotiated Ballajora hill and the Hibernian, breathtaking in more ways than one!
Then it was dodge the sunday drivers on the mountain road into Ramsey and also between Ramsey and Sulby, you cant miss us we have reflective kit on you morons!!!!!!!! The air was blue several times with my brother giving it dixey towards the motorists that at times looked like they were actually aiming for us!
On entering Sulby Claddaghs there was obviously an unofficial, official scrambler rally going on people, vans, bikes everywhere!! It spoilt the peace really but it was the end of the walk so it was ok.
Well some stats - I completed 15.53 miles in 3hr 35mins average speed of 4.3mph, my brother completed exactly the same course as me but it turned out as 16.25 miles?????? Confused !!!!! WE ARE!!!! Anyone any ideas why that is when we tuned the GPS on at the same time!!
Just to recap this weeks Mileage 33 1/2 miles over three work outs well chuffed considering I didnt think I was going to get out much!!
I also this week had a phone call from someone who has put my name forward to give their story about why im walking the Parish Walk and why i chose the MSPCA as a charity, this may take the form of radio interview or a write up in Manx Tales Magazine - exciting watch this space!!!
The "Just giving" account should be up and running in the next week for people to pledge money for my quest to help out the MSPCA, if you cant wait for that please contact me and ill gladly write down your sponsorship pledge on my form!!!!
I will not be walking on Tuesday night coming, this is due to my date in the local to watch Birminghams replay at St Andrews against Chelsea in the FA Cup, Good Luck Brum Boys "KEEP RIGHT ON!!!!"
I would like to finish off by saying a big thank you to my wife who is very understanding about the training, early morning wake ups and smelly kit!
I think the problem with your watch might be to do with how often it captures data. I had exactly the same with mine when I thought I was doing a certain distance, but others were telling me a different story. Mine was quite easy to change so that it captures more often. If it is a Garmin, you press the mode button, scroll to settings click, then click on general. Scroll down to data recording, and it gives you the option of either 'every second' or 'smart recording'. Every second is more accurate, but uses up more battery life so it's ok for training, but you'd be best using the smart option on the big day.
ReplyDeleteAfter today's events, a win against Chelski in the week looks a more likely prospect !!! I'm not talking about football this week - bah !
Cheers matey, i knew someone would know the answer! At the moment Im using my Iphone linked to Endomondo which does eat the battery, im waiting for the Suunto Ambit GPS Watch to be released at the start of April (birthday present!!! :0 )
DeleteAnd I hope your right about Tuesday!!! and Bad luck this week :( although Bham City werent much better!
I could just have been walking quicker and further of course......looking forward to next week, a stunning quiet and peaceful route this morning until the home stretch - but a good effort and am renewed and encouraged for the walking week ahead!
ReplyDeleteSimon You make me laugh!!! ;)Great walk though!
DeleteHmmm, no idea about Endomondo I'm afraid, I've not used it but have seen it in action and it does look pretty good.
ReplyDeleteGood mileage by the way, you're putting me to shame.
Endomondo is a great tool! And thanks by the way on target with my 30-35 miles per week, Im just awaiting a skeet at your weekly blog now :)
Delete