Sunday, 11 March 2012

Micro Climates and New Pants!!!

 
Well This is my second effort at this weeks blog as it decided not to save my first one!!!!!!
NOT HAPPY!!!! It was a good one as well!!!!   I will try to remember what I put first time around but to be honest my hearts not in this weeks one now!!! I would swear but my mum reads this!!!!!

So this week went better than anticipated, It was always going to be a busy week at work with a refresher course to tackle, kids swimming and a fitness test, plus being on call.  I wasnt sure how many miles I was going to achieve but it started well with the fitness test on Monday completed with absolutely no issues, Im feeling alot fitter than I have done on previous ones.
Getting back home from work on Tuesday I felt like I had cheated myself and that I should have been out training although I had only had Monday as a rest day and even then I had done some cardio workout with the test!  Feeling like I was letting myself down and being slightly obsessed I headed out for 6 miles which ended up to be very fast for me 1hr 14mins with a top speed of 6.6mph!!!
The week then continued and arrangements were made for me and my brother to do a big chunk of the Sara Killey Walk on Saturday AM.  I had checked the weather and it was due to be nice with highs of up to 15 degrees allegedly!!  At 530AM my alarm went off and I looked outside to see it raining, drizzle anyway and windy!!!! I don't know what island weather I was looking at the day before but i fear it wasn't the Isle of Man!
When we landed in Peel the rain had stopped, there was no wind and it was fairly mild.  I think that each village / town on the island has its own Micro climate!! Heading out of Peel I was soon sweating and getting hot, we must of only been 2 miles in, it was time to ditch my outer jacket, I placed it behind a grit bin by the Quarry and felt much better, around a mile later Simon was also sweating and it was time for him to strip off as well, finding another grit bin he placed his £180 Gore jacket behind it, Mine was only a freebie jacket from Up & Running in Douglas so wouldn't have been distraught if someone had picked it up.  I thought that they would be safe at that time of the morning but we did discuss how it would be hilarious if a drunken reveller walking home staggered across them and helped themselves although its the Isle of Man and the probability of that would be slim to remote!
As we turned left off the TT Course at Ballaugh the rain had started and by the time we reached Ballaugh Old Church the drizzle had turned to heavy rain and the crosswind was quite annoying blowing the rain into the side of my face.
Heading into Jurby the rain was fairly constant but the wind behind us was a lot better than the crosswind!  As we got into Andreas then rain had stopped and it felt actually warmer, its always sunny in Andreas!!!!!!
We finished just under 20 miles a great effort in 4hrs 18 mins, it felt very comfortable, I had not aches, pains, blisters or chaffage on the inside of my legs!!!!   This has been a problem over my last few walks, not massively sore just irritating and I was worried that over 85 miles I would be walking like John Wayne!!
I put no chaffage down to my new Nike Pants!!!!  I purchased these new shorts from Sports Direct they are Nike Pro Combat HyperCool Shorts and to be honest they were comfortable and I didn't suffer at all, I didn't even put any Vaseline on just to test them out now that's faith in the product!!!!!!!
Its been great walking with my brother it has brought us closer together, we both live very busy lives and have two very different jobs but equally as stressful, Simon's job at times takes him all round the world and mine is a 24 hour commitment, Both of us have family commitments during the week with kids clubs and sporting activities which invariabley means Dads Cabs!!!!! All this and help running the day to day family/home stuff leaves us very little time to fart.......Will come back to that!!!!!  As I say its been great catching up having a laugh/joke, putting the world to rights and also our favourite past time bickering!!!! what other activity allows that ??? :0

All in all a successful week again, mileage at 25 this week with the option to get out this afternoon although the rugby is on!!!! :) Both jackets were successfully retrieved, no blisters and no sore legs!

The week ahead - Plenty of walking, few days off resting, cookery and dads cabs to Swimming Champs! + Work!! busy busy busy..........again!

One more thing I've got all the way through this post without mentioning curries! Simon aka Johnny Fartpants decided to have a curry the night before our walk from Peel, in hindsight probably not the best idea if only from a smell point of view!!!! ;)

Until Next Week  K R O !!!!!


(KRO=Keep Right On, Its a Brummie thing!)







No comments:

Post a Comment