So the reason for the above is simple, this song got me through the tough times last week between St Judes Crossroads and Sulby Bridge, everything was hurting, my neck, legs, feet practically all parts, I must have played it three or four times on the bounce and it seemed to get me back on track, A bit like today in windy hilly Maughold!!!! I will come back to that shortly.
This week was recovery week from the Sara Killey to be honest my joints and feet recovered quite quickly and by Wednesday I was out for a slow 5 miles and another on Thursday.
Lessons learned from last week and with less than 8 weeks before the big day I felt quite positive going into this mornings walk!!!
My two regular walking partners were unavailable today My brother Simon had yesterday practised his leg (leg 9) of Race The Sun, Bradda to Dalby which he said was horrible. My other Training Buddy Paul is suffering with a dose of Man Flu, which every man knows Highly contagious, horrible and I feel his pain!
I continued any way on my own parking the car at the old Grand Island Site at just after 7 this morning, I wanted to get out early as its expected that weather conditions will deteriorate considerably in the afternoon, however writing this the sun is shining in the North!!!!
The Waves were crashing in and there was a very strong wind coming off the sea which nearly blew my door off its hinges!!! As I finished the last mouthful of protein shake I did actually think to myself "what the feck am I doing !!"
Bravely I stepped out of the car and continued along the promenade towards Ramsey Town Centre, my Ipod was on but it was that windy I couldn't really hear it!, I got to the swing bridge and to be honest I could have quite easily turned around and gone back to the car but I continued thinking that it wasn't a good sign hitting a low within the first mile!!!!
As I went up the hill towards the Maughold turning I was sheltered from the wind by the houses it didn't seem like such a chore and soon I was heading through pretty Port Lewaige and up towards Maughold.
Pretty uneventful heading through Maughold the wind wasn't a issue, I started the ascent up the steep hill towards Ballajora where I met a lady walking a German Shepherd, This Shepherd was lively and boisterous and as soon as it clocked me walking towards it in my dayglow yellow jacket it sparked up and started to bark at me baring its teeth. All I could think of was nice dog, handful, lively and would be great to work!
Up towards Ballajora I went leaving the Shepherd and its owner behind and go to the top feeling quite pleased with myself. Just as I got to the give way junction at the top of the hill my Parish Walk quest nearly came to an abrupt ending, I was met by a gold Merc that came through the junction towards me heading down the hill, nobodys fault it was just really bad timing, I didn't hear or see it coming and he obviously only saw me at the last moment!!!! Snarling, barking, drooling things with four legs don't bother me at all but big metal, heavy things with four wheels do!!!!
Like I said it was nobodys fault just bad timing, The driver was so apologetic and must have said sorry at least six times, Now I don't mind drivers like that, like I said bad timing but could have been a hell of a lot worse, its the drivers that don't see you, that are more interested in gorping at you or staring straight through you or dont slow down, go for gaps that really if they took 5 seconds would still get to where they are going just as quickly but might not kill someone!!!! Those drivers annoy me!!!
I continued along towards the Eco House thats in the process of being built and I started to get a pain in the arch of my right foot (Thats a new one!!!) this pain was getting worse and worse and near Cornea turn off I actually stopped!!! for the first time I actually stopped!! I was gutted, I checked my shoe, socks and foot but couldnt see anything wrong, I started to plod on and up towards the hibernia, the pain relatively the same but I continued never the less. Onto the TT course at the Gooseneck and down into Ramsey feeling very sorry for myself I went across the swing bridge again and stepped onto the Prom. Now I wished id have parked by the Swimming Pool, the wind was now directly in my face and hadnt been an issue since I left Ramsey a couple of hours prior.
The wind was whipping up sand and blowing it in my face which felt not only uncomfortable but stung at times, it was a long long trudge to the car at the other end of the prom!!! To be honest I was so glad when it was all over! 12 miles in 2hr 33mins one I would like to put behind me. So brining this weeks total to 22 miles which after last weeks efforts Im happy with.
I would also like to thank all you guys that take time reading my blog, I have reached 1500 page views tremendous thanks.
A big well done to Birmingham City also for reaching the Championship playoffs and start their campaign against Blackpool, Get your orange top out Adam and prepare to cry into your beer!!! I wont even start about the Villa!!!!!
So thats this weeks efforts recorded and written down, A couple of days off and back to it near end of the week.
KEEP RIGHT ON!!!!!!!
If the foot continues to give you grief, just roll a golf ball about with your arch (either bare footed or in just a sock) - that should sort it soon enough.
ReplyDeleteShall give that a go Ed thanks Once again! take it that youve had same sort of issue? or is it common?
DeleteI haven't had this problem, but a mate of mine did a couple of years ago and he swore by the golf ball technique. Apparently it hurts like hell, but it really works.
ReplyDeleteYes it does!!!! and youve helped me out with my next blog entry!! :) Ill keep you informed of the progress, cheers matey
Delete